Monday, May 28, 2012

"Say Her Name" Francisco Goldman's Memoir of His Late Wife

A rule I abide when reading any book; I'll read to page 100 but stop if I'm not interested.  There are way too many other books to read.  Francisco Goldman's "Say Her Name," is a loving tribute to his young wife, Aura, who dies in a freak ocean accident just a year into their marriage.  I was easily drawn into this ill-fated love affair.  Goldman wrote upon first meeting her, "She smiled at me with that smile and I must have smiled back as if I couldn't believe my luck.  Hola!  I said..Hello! Meet your death."  I felt their deep love for each other and his debilitating grief.  "One of the last things she ever said to me was: Love me a lot, my love."  I even sided with Goldman when his in-laws turn vehemently against him, blaming him for Aura's death.  However, the book turns lugubrious as he drones on, quoting all the private and banal writings from Aura's childhood diaries: not interested.  Perhaps, a mother might be interested in reading her daughter's diaries (not that I would ever admit to this breech of privacy.)  I am saying that Goldman's memoir may have been cathartic for him, but there was way more information than I cared to know.  Read Joan Didion's "The Year of Magical Thinking," instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment