Monday, June 11, 2012

IN ONE PERSON by John Irving

I have named John Irving as one of my favorite authors & his book, Cider House Rules on at least 1 of my top 10 lists.  I have loved many of his previous works, THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP, A WIDOW for ONE YEAR and A PRAYER for OWEN MEANY.  I was not enamored with some of his more recent works:  UNTIL I FIND YOU or LAST NIGHT in TWISTED RIVER.  However, I am midway through his new book IN ONE PERSON which deals poignantly and sensitively to one's sexual identity and the spectrum of sexual attraction.  The protagonist, a pre-teen boy William, is trying to sort out his own confusing sexual feelings and confides in his step-father Richard.  William speaks to Richards of his "dangerous crushes-a crush on the wrong person."  The kindly and sagacious Richard tells him "...there's no such thing. There are no 'wrong' people; we're free to have crushes on anyone we want."  I am enjoying IN ONE PERSON and the quirky, interesting people he encounters set in another one of Irving's New England private schools.  I recommend reading Irving's book along with me.  I also recommend seeing the play "COCK" @ the Duke Theatre which also deals with William's dilemma of how "...to acknowledge the most confusing aspects of my bisexuality."

No comments:

Post a Comment