Tuesday, June 12, 2012

BOOKS that Beg to be Reread from High School

I have just returned from an invigorating lecture on Harriet Beecher Stowe's UNCLE TOM'S  CABIN, "the most influential novel ever written by an American.  The last time I read Stowe's novel was back in high school (albeit not that long ago...) and it made me consider books read then, that I feel compelled to read again (no tests or papers required.)  My list is as follows in addition to UNCLE TOM's CABIN:  HUCKLEBERRY FINN, Twain, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, Lee, NATIVE SON or BLACK BOY, Wright, NOT WITHOUT LAUGHTER, Hughes, INVISIBLE MAN, Ellison, SOUL on ICE, Cleaver, THERE IS a TREE MORE ANCIENT than EDEN, Forrest, THE BLUEST EYES, Morrison, COMMON SENSE or RIGHTS of MAN, Paine, and WARRIOR's DON'T CRY: A SEARING MEMOIR of the BATTLE to INTEGRATE LITTLE ROCK'S CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL by Melba Patillo Beals, of whom I have had the great honor of meeting and hearing her speak.

Leo Tolstoy said, "UNCLE TOM'S CABIN is the highest level of art; on par with Shakespeare." It's been said that the Bible and UNCLE TOM's CABIN are the two highest sold books of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment