Sunday, October 1, 2023

Oprah and Arthur C Brooks' BOOK How to Attain Happiness

If you're not a self-help genre book seeker, join the club with me.  However, it was hard not to get swept up in the infectious joy emanating from Oprah and Arthur C Brooks when discussing their joint book project entitled BUILD the LIFE YOU WANT: the Art and Science of Getting Happier when appearing on CBS Sunday Morning in September.  Oprah is one of the world's most recognizable and revered people whose parlayed her celebrity and likability into a well-being guru.  Brooks, a prof. at Harvard holds packed classes lecturing on attaining happiness.  Brooks' popular column in the Atlantic on building one's happiness drew Oprah as a fan.  Oprah reached out and suggested they collaborate on a book together which they were pleased to be promoting.  As Oprah says, "Life is better when you share it."  As many people know, if Oprah puts her name or stamp of approval on something it's like winning the lottery.  Although, according to Brooks, neither money, good lucks, fame or power are elements that assure happiness.  My cynicism and curiosity are what drew me to purchasing and reading the book.  This non-repentant cynic found it a somewhat enjoyable, enlightening and empowering read.   I say this honestly but begrudgingly for I had a captious contention for belittling what was sure to be cliched advice.  However, I fond sensible suggestions when dealing with problematic issues within my family.   Many of the topics were not up my ally and then I would find a snippet that felt directed right towards me.  "Go through the day focusing on things outside yourself, resisting judgement, and avoiding anything self-referential." I incorporated purely observational thoughts rather than opinionated and value-based.  This was a gem as a practical suggestion I put into action with positive results.  And, this tidbit also fit for me, "When someone says, 'You are wrong,' respond with "Tell me more."  And, for me, the most constructive framing for my mind-set was redirecting my focus outward and more time spent marveling at the world around me.  Experiencing awe mitigates a self-centered, perspective freeing a person to appreciate and enjoy what life is offering.   Arthur Brooks should be happy that I am endorsing BUILD the LIFE YOU WANT.  While I'm not Oprah, coming from me, that's not too shabby.  And, as you can see, attaining happiness is an on-going, lifetime enterprise.  Although, I don't surmise I'll be deferring to another self-improvement book in the near future.    

No comments:

Post a Comment