Thursday, March 30, 2023

E Austin's EVERYONE in this ROOM WILL be DEAD-Craziness that Makes Sense

"Common sense is not so common." (Voltaire). Emily Austin's first novel takes us inside the restless and depressing mind of Gilda, a young woman, for a miraculously funny journey.  Gilda's a regular at the local emergency room where she knows something's not right with her and she's open to any suggestions they may have. The most helpful advice received comes from a friendly custodian who suggests she concentrates on making people in her life happy.  This wacky, frustrating and utterly addicting novel is like a box of candy, you don't know what you're going to get next but it's guaranteed to be nutty and deliciously awry.  We know Gilda is a gay atheist.  She struggles with depression, yet somehow manages to slip into a job as as a secretary for an elderly, Catholic Priest.  Gilda dreads the thought of anyone being sad, drawing attention to herself and consumed with notions of death.  The zany incongruence of sombre topics such as suicide and depression in a novel that is nevertheless clever and humorous is thanks to the ingenious characters and insights Austin provides.  Gilda is a Candide or Forest Gump character who floats with the flow thru life not wanting to ruffle feathers.  She differs from these fictional characters by the insight we perceive to her mind.  Her actions or comments appear disturbing to others around her but we understand she's responding out of a profound care for others.  Her irrational actions stem from rational reasoning.  While working at the Church she becomes obsessed with trying to solve for the possible murder of Grace, the elderly woman whom she replaced.  After being brought to the precinct for questioning as a suspect in Grace's death, she calls the people in her life and she offers apologies and hopes.  For Eleanore, Gilda's girlfriend she says,  "I just have to tell you how badly I feel about upsetting you.  I really feel terrible. I must be self-centered or something.  This might sound weird, but I can't face that I disappointed someone who brought me Thin Mints.  I know that sounds stupid.  Something is wrong with me.  I feel like I am a robot or something.  Does that make sense?  I can't concentrate.  I can't say this properly.  SometimesI feel like the only escape I have is becoming completely apathetic to everything or dying.  I just don't want to upset people.  I realize that's ironic because I upset you."  Gilda's message to her younger brother, "We are all just floating in space, okay?  Think about it, we're just ghosts inside skeletons, inside skin bags floating on a rock in space.  If there is anything that would make you feel happy to do, please do it."  The wisdom Gilda gleans for herself is the most valuable, "I have chosen happiness.  Out of all the emotions set out on the table, I have selected it.  It is by far the superior option.  It's insane to think I would have ever picked one of those shittier emotions before-when all the while, I could have chosen shiny, shimmering, iridescent happiness."  Everyone who chooses EVERYONE in this ROOM WILL be DEAD will come out ahead and glad they did.   

No comments:

Post a Comment