Sunday, June 14, 2020

Norman Learn's Auto-bio "Even This I Get to Experience" Would've Benefited from Editing

Saying Norman Lear is a genius is a gross understatement.  His legacy of TV sitcoms & characters is profound.  Why is it his name is relatively unknown to most born after 1980?  This dumbfounds me.  Lear's contributions to entertainment & TV have resounded with groundbreaking successes for their originality, hilarity & most assuredly for their social relevancy & self-reckoning.  Did I mention his hallmark humorous imprints so monumental in an earlier epoch to have been nascent for today's programmings & filmmaking they've melded into unconsciousness.  "Even This I Get to Experience" is essential reading for everyone.  Not only for its significance of the most ingenious & prolific artistic creators of the 20th C & beyond, but also for the inspirational & educational 1st hand telling of a life rich in social impact & commitment, familial love & tribulations & a network of connections to the elite echelons of entertainers & political leaders.  This is a unique opportunity to glimpse intimately a rare & special person who leaves you in awe and envious of those fortunate family & friends who lives intertwined at some point in Lear's 90+ years.  Norman's name dropping is not conceited flopping but a quotidian commemoration of his ever growing connections to his past & present contemporaries & mentorships of other talented artists, leaders in business & society along with his personal & family history.  Lear's service in WWII as a gunner pilot is astounding.  His heroic service alongside his countrymen is conveyed with his life experiences into the divine comedy of humanity.  Lear makes clear the character with whom he most identifies from the multitudes he developed is Maude, played by the incomparable Bea Arthur.  "Maude.  That's the character who shares my passion, my social concerns, and my politics."  Lear writes, "Maude who dealt best with the foolishness of the human condition because she knew herself to personify it."  He goes onto say "Of all the {countless} moments in all the shows, nothing touched men or to the core while lifting me to the heavens, nothing in some 2,600 1/2 hrs., like a certain scene in Maude....My emotions overflowed at rehearsals because hidden in that fantastic performer was my alter ego."  "Oh, my God, that line out of her mouth!" is a culmination of Lear's legendary career which is merely the tip of the iceberg of a life well lived & whose life impacts us all for the better whether we are aware of it or not.  I highly recommend reading Lear's auto-bio.  It's off-putting on my part to suggest his writing would benefit with an edit & that Norman proffers TMI.  Who am I to criticize this intellect whom I greatly admire and wish fervently to know?  But, his mommy, daddy issues and blow by blow sexual escapades I didn't need to know.  Otherwise, BRAVO Mr. Lear.  Many you live to enrich the common human condition we all share for many years to come and continue to enjoy your loved ones & embrace all the experiences yet to come your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment