Friday, July 19, 2019

"Be With" Forrest Gander Wins Pulitzer Prize ('16) for Poetry - Elegant & Melancholy Eulogy

Forrest Gander is a novelist, professor & poet.  His poetry collection "Be With" earned the Pulitzer Prize in 2016.  It's no wonder - "Be With" is a compilation of poems that are deeply felt reflections on life, mortality and love.  "Be With" begs to be read & treasured.  Gander is a national treasure and deserving of the Presidential Medal of Honor.  "Be With" is packed with poignancy and tenderness.  "Such fervid love entwined the two together in one voice both possessed.  A plenum of the world.  The more that love was one, the more of love there was."  Gander's gentle & pensive wisdom weave into one's conscience.  "Forgive yourself, they say, but after you forgive what you have lived, what is left."  And regrets rain upon one's psyche, "I gave my life to strangers.  I kept it from the one's I love."  "Be With" is overflowing with life affirming homages.  There are also keen harbingers warning us of legacies laden with maleficence.  "Though I also wear my life into death, the ugliness I originate outlives me."  I have high praise for Forrest Gander's exquisite lyrical gift with words.  "Be With" should be read, revered and re-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment