Thursday, April 12, 2018

Pulitzer Prize Winning Author Marilynne Robinson's "What Are We Doing Here?: Essays

Marilynne Robinson (b Amer 1943) is a literary giant.  She's a prolific author whose previous books HOUSEKEEPING received a Pulitzer Prize nomination, HOME an Orange Prize and GILEAD won the Pulitzer Prize.  I have read and cherished these 3 novels among some of her other works.  Her new collection of essays "What are We Doing Here" is a collection of speeches she presented at various venues in recent years.  Her writing is imbued with a spirituality if not morality.  I found Robinson essays too proselytizing and pandering.  Her religious proclivities which are tempered through her fictional characters are less palatable in her preaching.  Though she argues for one's own conscience to be our guiding voice it is her's that comes through as dogmatic and demanding.  Had I been in attendance to her this revered author present one of her essays, I might have been swayed by her eloquence & inspirational intellect.  However, as a compilation I felt buried & burden by a repetitive messaging that was assertive and self-congratulatory.  I admire her prose which is for me but will stay away from her essay format.  

No comments:

Post a Comment