Friday, December 29, 2017

Jesse Ball's Novel "A Cure for Suicide" I Couldn't Endure this Psychological Fiction Depiction

Jesse Ball (b Amer 1978) is a novelist, poet and sketch artist.  "A Cure for Suicide" was long listed for the Nat'l Book Award (2015).  I couldn't endure the sparse, irritating context of a man (the claimant" and a woman (the examiner).   The examiner is steering the claimant to start his life over; having no knowledge of his personal history or how to function in the world.  The examiner (who asks to be called Teresa) informs the claimant (whom she names Anders) "We give you the freedom to make every conceivable mistake and have them all be forgotten."  The sic-fi psychological premise might have held promise but the outline is so blank it was too frustrating & tedious to engage with the characters.  The banal & uninspiring dialogue is dull.  "What would you call me"  I would call you examiner.  That's right, and why am I an examiner?  Because your work is to examine people and things and help to achieve balance."  Teresa mentors Anders with baby step guidance that goes at a torpid pace.  There is such sparse insight or background into how either Anders or Teresa present circumstance that there is nothing from which to build any curiosity.  "Teresa, he said.  I want to know more about your life."  It is a part of the help I bring you, she said.  One day, you will have heard so much that you tire of it."  I tired from their baffling and mind numbing exchange.  I did not venture to invest more time in this novel I found so off-putting.  "A Cure for Suicide" was too dormant for me to trudge through.  Perhaps I may find some intriguing prose in Ball's poetry.  "A person can travel when they have music.  Just as much as by walking."

No comments:

Post a Comment