Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Swedish author Katrina Bivald's "The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend" I would NEVER Recommend it to be Read

Katarina Bivald is a Swiss author & book store junkie. Her novel "The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend" is meant to be a charming bibliophile's dream but it's maudlin drivel that doesn't deserve your time.  I found it annoying & so farfetched it made me retch.  Why then did I spend so much time reading this novel I deplored?  Because my bookgroup in my small town chose it.  I was determined to complete the book before I condemned it as crap at the next book meeting.  I can understood how the selection was misconstrued as being a worthy selection.  It proved worthless.   Sarah from Sweden, the heroine in the novel, travels to visit Amy, an elderly widow in a small town in IA with whom she's built  a pen pal relationship.  Meek Sarah stood her ground vs. the town's self-righteous officiando who proclaimed erotica writings as filth.  Sarah questioned how can a person judge a book without having read it.  I proclaim this book as unoriginal, poorly written & unappealing.  Sarah (Bivald's wishful avatar) had little to anchor her to her  home town in the way of friends, family ties or interests (except reading.)  The bookstore she worked in closed leaving adrift.  The invite to visit Broken Wheel seems ideal to Sarah.  This book is intended as a tribute to the transformative powers of reading and an essay extoling the virtues of community, relationships & life experiences.  Are you retching now, too?   Can't say I didn't warn you. Sarah saves the small dying town, brings out the best in everyone & finds true love.  Bivald believes her book is an amalgamation of "Bridges of Madison County," Pride & Pejudice," & "The Shipping News."  I knew this book was bunk from beginning to end.  I urge you not to waste your time reading "The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend."

No comments:

Post a Comment