Monday, August 8, 2016

Non-F "Why Not Me" by Mindy Kaling - A Project Worth Reading

Mindy Kahling, Emmy nom actress & star/creator of "The Mindy Project" has written 2 auto-biographies.  Her 1st indulgent foray, "Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me?" ('11) was without interest to anyone other than her parents.  However, her most recent auto-bio "Why Not Me?" ('15) is a likable, candid & inspirational book; both entertaining & endearing.  There is an abundance of numbing narcissism, still, there's a lot of charm, wisdom & wit.  "Why Not Me?" picks up on her adult life (whereas her earlier work) reflected her ho-hum doldrum childhood: TMI because it was Tedious, Meandering Indulgences.  There's something about "Why Not Me" that makes Mindy relatable, lovable, neurotic, needy and fabulous.  Mindy lays it on the line "This book is basically an expose {of my} character flaws."  I found her directness disarming, "Please like me."   She strikes universal themes of seeking acceptance "Every kid wants approval, but my desire to be well-liked was central to my personality."  Mindy's anecdotes into the hard work & insecurities that comprise the majority of what may be assumed star status lifestyle - or for a B lister are enlightening.  All joking aside (and there was plenty LOL moments - Mindy's rise to fame is owed to her hard work & creative, comedic writing skill.  The book breaks a lot of rules & marches to its own beat.  As Mindy claims, "I'm such a rule breaker."  Chosen to give a graduation speech to a Harvard's Law School class (which she wrongly assumed meant being given an honorary doctorate) Mindy is riotously funny & sagacious.  "If you got it, flaunt it.  If you don't got it?  Flaunt it.  Cause what are we even doing here if we're not flaunting it."  I really liked "Why Not Me."  Mindy, if you're reading this - please like me.  I'd really want you as my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment