Tuesday, May 24, 2016

What is Not Yours is Not Yours by Helen Oyeyemi-Not Worth Your Time

The best thing about this novel by Helen Oyeyemi is its clever title.  Nigerian born author, Helen Oyeyemi's novel "Boy Snow Bird" was a finalist for the LA Times Book Prize in 2014.  I was very taken with this beautifully written, bewitching interwoven tale of myths, familial bonds and reverse discrimination.  In Oyeyemi's new collection of short stories, the author maintains a crafty writing style that is so mysterious I felt left out in the dark.  I'm also at a loss for the signifigance of its taunting title and fail to find the thread that ties the stories together other than they all contain locks & keys.  I understand the metaphors for new pathways but the stories themselves are without spirit or intent.   Reading Oyeyemi's short stories felt to me like passing through the looking glass.  I'd pass on these peculiar and uninspired stories & pick up one of her former novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment