Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Rose That Grew From Concrete, Tupac Shakur's Poetic Legacy Thrives

 Tupac Shakur untimely death (b. 1971-96) cannot silence his poetic genius.  His words leap off the page & pull at your heart strings.  His love poems are sonnets that soar with emotion.
The Power of a Smile for Renee
"The power of anger can rage inside until it tears you apart.  But the power of a smile, especially yours can heal a frozen heart."
Shakur's premonition of his early death is haunting:
In the Event of My Demise
"I will die before my time.  Because I feel the shadow's depth.  So much I wanted to accomplish before I reached my Death."
Shakur's rousing poems speak of love, pain, fear, strength, faith, heartbreak & injustice.
Lady Liberty Needs Glasses
"While justice is on a rampage for endangered surviving black males.  I mean really if anyone really valued life and cared about the masses, They'd take em both to Pen Optical and get 2 pair of glasses."
He boldly puts forth the plights of young black men: drugs, police brutality, incarcertation, & poverty.  He speaks of his devotion for his single mother and admiration for leaders & artists:  Mandela, Malcom X,  Huey Newton, and Van Gogh.
The Rose That Grew From Concrete is a compilation of Shakur's writings & drawings.  His powerful legacy will thrive, inspire & immortalize a galvanizing artist whose life was taken way too early.
Untitled
"Stregth is overcome by weakness.  Joy is overcome by pain.  The night is overcome by brightness and Love - it remains the same."  

No comments:

Post a Comment