Saturday, April 19, 2014

Mindy Kaling - Hang with Her NOT Her Book

IS EVERYONE HANGING WITHOUT ME? (AND OTHER CONCERNS) is Mindy Kaling's likable non-commendable succinct account of her life experiences and other minor details.  I'm happy for Mindy, she contends "…my parents are perfect and so am I."  Her childhood was basically innocuous.  She was content being on the outside looking in and for the most part, inside watching comedy on TV.  She sums her preadolescence by saying "it all added up to a happy, memorable time."  Her college years at Dartmouth kept the good times rolling and close friendships were formed.  After graduating, she & her college buddies became roommates in a cramped Brooklyn apartment to pursue their dreams; or take any job that paid the rent.  Her path to a successful career in comedy writing & acting was not particularly compelling.  I'm getting the sense that comics memoirs are intended as tributes to their favorite comedians & comic bits perhaps in hopes of reciprocated admiration.  Mindy did share some amusing observations.  I agree, "So much can be excused if you're just funny enough."   Mindy's book, IS EVERYONE HANGING... is not funny enough to recommend.  However, I would like her to be my friend which is highly unlikely.  My chances are now further diminished when she reads my review (as if.)  But, who needs a friend that might punch them in the face & break their nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment