Monday, January 7, 2013

Let's Pretend This Never Happened, a Mostly True Memoir

This mostly absurd and irritating memoir by Jenny Lawson, happens to be a total waste of time.  I can appreciate irreverence & the bizarre, but this incredulous memoir lowers the bar somewhere below potty humor & outlandish bigotry.  Wait, you say I'm envious of her wit - bullshit - oops, I mean malarky.  I should have heeded Lawson's own early warning, "If you're easily grossed out, I recommend skipping this entire section - Or maybe getting another book that's less disturbing than this one."  What a fool, I didn't take her advice.  I didn't find her amusing, only confusing if not problematic:  "Like, did you know that Angelina Jolie hates Jewish people?  True story. {Editor's note:  Angelina Jolie does not hate Jewish people at all, and this is a total fabrication."  Still, I forged on, only to seriously question if Lawson is anti-Semetic.   She recalls her grandmother describing Hitler "as a sad little man who probably didn't get hugged enough."  Enough already, I usually read at least 100 pages before I set a book aside.  Don't be a fool, forget this rule, forget this "mostly true memoir."  I can't fathom how this memoir ever happened to be published.

No comments:

Post a Comment