Friday, December 21, 2012

Glen Duncan's The Last Werewolf, If Only it Were

Now, for something completely different; well sort of - I chose The Last Werewolf on the Nat'l Bestseller List as a "vacation" book. as a quick read. What I found to my delight, was a uniquely dark & sexy thriller with a very compelling hero, Jake Marlowe, the last surviving werewolf.  Set in modern day, predominately in England, Jake's history takes us back to the early 19th C when he was first "turned" into a werewolf.  "I'm a man. I'm a monster. A cocktail of contraries." This novel is an exotic & absorbing blend of suspense, gore, romance & grief.  Jake bemoans his 200 year existence as wearisome.  He informs his longtime mortal friend, Harley, he plans to end his life. "I've had enough, that it's time to go, that I really can't stand it any more, the living & the killing & the wandering the world without love."  If werewolfs exist, does it mean there are vampires?  Of course, Jake informs us, "Werewolves & vampires don't get on.  Mutual repulsion is visceral & without exception."  Howeer, this novel is not geared for the Twilight set.  It possesses a tale of complex behavior & contemplations.  "You love life because life's all there is.  There's no God & that's His only Commandment."  I commend you to read this novel.  I enjoyed it but for the "final" tawdry confrontation which sets itself for a sequel.  The Last Werewolf will be the last of the series I'll read.

No comments:

Post a Comment